Jessie James Decker’s Pumpkin Chili with Black Beans
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 pound ground beef
2 (15.5 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15.5 ounce) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can unsweetened pumpkin puree
6 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Tortilla chips, for serving
Shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
Sliced scallions, for serving
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 7 minutes
3. Add the beans, diced tomatoes, pumpkin puree, tomato paste, 1 cup water, chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
4. Bring to a simmer. Cover partially and let simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
5. Serve the chili in bowls with tortilla chips, shredded cheddar and sliced scallions.