Jenny Mollen’s Better Than Alphabet Cookies
Makes 20 to 25 cookies
½ cup palm shortening
½ cup pure maple syrup
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup tiger nut flour, plus more for dusting
½ cup tapioca starch
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whisk together the palm shortening, maple syrup, and vanilla.
3. Stop the mixer and add the tiger nut flour, tapioca starch, baking soda and salt. Mix until the dough comes together.
4. Remove the dough from the bowl and shape it into a large disc. Wrap in waxed paper, then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Dust your work surface with flour. Unwrap the dough, then roll it out to an even ¼- inch thickness. Using your favorite cookie cutters, cut the dough into shapes to yield 20 to 25 cookies. Transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 7 days.